Tuesday, August 29, 2006

American's are not told Israeli's are against war....An open letter

Dear Shale:I am writing to let you know that I have received your letter, sent to me during my stay in military prison. I would like to thank you and the Jewish Peace Fellowship for your support during a time of distress. You words have truly helped me copy with this uneasy period.I was released on April 11, 2002, after serving 26 days in military prison 4. Despite the somewhat frightening name, it is not a regular jail with cells and dungeons, but rather something that resembles a military camp, with tents and field showers. Nevertheless, it does reflect the lack of freedom found in facilities of this type. The good news was that I was able to read a lot, so you can say that this has not been a total waste of time.It was very important for me that people around the world would realize that not all Israelis support the policy of our current government, and willing to take part in the ongoing occupation of the West Bank and Gaza. Unfortunately, the sane voices are currently being hushed by the sound of exploding bombs in Israel, and by the roaring of tanks in the occupied territories. Though I am sure that both peoples are striving for basically the same thing, which is an honorable and safe existence in their homeland, it seems that a wall of misunderstanding prevents each side from seeing its own dream within its counterpart. Both Israelis and Palestinians end up giving in to extremists, which currently run (or ruin) the lives of 9 million people in this part of the world.Due to the current escalation of the conflict, and the military's attitude towards those of us who refuse to serve in the territories, there is a very real possibility that I will be sent to jail again in the near future. My wife and I have therefore decided that we will travel abroad for some time. Though it may seem as escapism, I fail to see how another visit to prison serves anyone.Again, I thank you for your support, and hope to hear from you in the future.Elad Lahav